Good morning or evening all. On this page I will be trying to tell you about how to grow all different types of plants from summer bedding, vegetable, trees, fruit bushes and much more...
There are many different ways to grow plants one of the best ways is from seeds or cuttings which are each to do once you've had a few goes....
So lets start with something really easy...The Runner Bean... You will need 10 x 10cm plastic pots a smallbag of multi-purpose compost some water and perlite...
- Fill the pots 3/4 full of compost
- Then water until moist and leave for 5 minutes.
- Then place 2 beans 1 inch apart about 2 inche deep in each pot.
- Cover each pot with 1/2 inch of Pelrlite
- Place on a warm shelf in the greenhouse or if you have space on a sunny (but not direct sunlight) window sill.
- Check every 2-3 days for watering, keep them moist but not to wet..
- The beans should greminate within 1 week.
- You will need to pot them on after 1-2 weeks into 1 litre pots.
- You can then after 3-4 weeks start to place then outside during the day but remember to bring themin at night..
- Plant out after 4 weeks plant them 6-8 inches apart and place a 6 foot cane in the middle of each pair.Water in well.
- Tie them up as they grow, this will be quite quickly so keep an eye on them every couple of days.
- Check that they do not dry out in warm / hot weather, best to water first thing in the morning of late evening..
- Once to beans start to appear keep an eye on them, when they get to around 8-10inches long and look plump it's time to pick them..
- Remember to pull up the plant after they have finished producing beans you can compost the bean stalks.
- You could leave a few beans on the stalk to save for next year take them off just before removing the stalks from your vegetable patch and store in a dry frost free place...
So I hope you manage to get some runner beans growing this year just folow my tips and see how you go...