Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Getting Rid of Pests, Weeds and Diseases the Friendly Way.

Tuesday15th March.

I do not like to use and form of chemicals in my garden or vegetable boxes.

So I get rid of all my pests, weeds and diseases the organic way or by hand and with the help of friendly bugs...Like ladybirds and hoverflies....

I do all my weeding by hand or with a hoe to remove there tops when it's hot and sunny as the weeds will then wilt and then you can pick them up and get rid of them. I always have a hand fork to hand when out in the garden or working in the vegetable boxes as I always managed to find the odd weeds lurking under a lettuce leaf or growing to near other vegetable plants so it's best to remove the weed as soon as you spot it..
Remember not to put perrenial weeds in the compost bin as they will grow again when you spread out your fresh compost.
I will put a list of perrenial weeds up on the main page for you to look at...
You can compost annual weeds although I personally never put and weeds in the compost bin..I put them in a bag and take then away to the locol recyling centre and out them in there green waste skip...
You must also rememember that you can't get rid of every last weed it's imposible...I've tried for years...still not managed it even going out every day and looking for them...

So on the pests...aphids bugs etc...there are many thousands of bugs both bad and good....
so lets see what there is you will probably get one or more pests during the growing season of your vegetables.. Here is a few to look out for...whitefly, blackfly, red spider mite, cabbage white caterpillars, slugs and snails are just afew of the common ones. I will tell you how to sort out each one of the above on the comments pages...

You can grow lots of plants that will attract friendly bugs, such as lady birds and hoverflies who eat the bad ones...this is comes under companion planting....
Which I have explained before......Lady Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Tuesday 15th March.

    Controlling whitefly and blackfly....Again I use the companian planting method...They get attracted to lots of fleshy new growth of the vegetables so I tend to plant onions and lettuce together as they do not like there small and if you do get alot of them you can always wash them off with water and a few drops of cheap washing up liquid in a sprayer bottle...The soap iritates them and they fall off you can clean the compost away from the plant so they don't crawl back up the plant...
    You can also plant tagetes and calendula which attract friendly bugs...Lasy Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday 3rd April.

    At this time of year there aren't usually many pest around,most haven't woken up just yet or hatched...But they will start again very soon...So you'll need to watch out for any signs of pests, bugs etc...

    The weeds have started to grow already I have got a few of them but each day I pull up a few and get rid of them...
    And remember not to put the perennial weeds in your compost bin as they will set seed in there and you'll never get rid of them...unless you use chemical sprays....
    So remember to keep watch for the first signs of any pests and remove them as soon as you can...
    Lady Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturday 14th May.

    Well as we've had such a warm start to the gardening year I have not yet seen to many pests around.. I did have a few greenfly on one plant the other day but I just squished them and haven't found anymore since... And up to now there haven't been may slugs around my garden either.. or snails I think it's been to dry for them.. Although I'll have to keep and eye out over the next few days as we've had a few wet days and they seem to come out whenit's been damp / wet... I will put out a few beer traps tomorrow and see if any come along..I do hope that all my gardening friends are not suffering with any pestd or diseases.. If you have then get on to me and I will try to help solve the problem... Lady Sarah.

    ReplyDelete