Thursday, March 17, 2011

Home Grown Mushrooms

Just over 3 weeks ago I started off a box of mushrooms growing...
I haven't grown them before and it's so easy.

All you have to do is mix the compost with small warm water but not to make it too wet....Then you put the cover back on for 3-5 day then lift up the cover and leave for up to 3 weeks check every few days for if they need watering....you just use a small sprayer and just moisten the compost if it looks as if it has dried out...
Well yesterday after 3 weeks and 3 days I have 3 little button mushrooms and 1 very tiny one...so far..I had to spray them with water again tonight....So I may have a few more tomorrow...
I'm wondering now of what to make with them...I think it may be an omlete or I could get John to make my favorite dish "petit pots au fungi"....little pots of mushrooms....It's made with cream and bacon and lots of button mushrooms and gruyere cheese on top...best severed with a good chuck of french bread...
I'll have to wait a few days so I'll have enough mushrooms to make that....

I was very excited last night and was very surprised that they had actually grown....
I'm going to take a few photographs of the mushrooms now ...So here they are my very first mushrooms I'm looking forward to trying them later this week........Lady Sarah.




6 comments:

  1. Friday 18th March.

    It's another lovely day here in Sandbach, cheshire uk....Very sunny but a bit chilly at the moment...I will be going out on the nursery shortly...When Edward decides to get up....Yes he's still asleep... He woke up at 6am had a cup of tea and then went back of to sleep...Ithink he must be having a growing spert again as he seems to sleep more and eat more every time he grows....

    I will be sowing some more seeds today and planting out some of the plants I bought yesterday in the front garden...

    The mushrooms have grown a few more over night so later on I'm going to pick some of them....
    I have lots of seeds to prick out as well today I'm not quite sure were they are going to go just yet...I will have to find some space for them as they are getting a bit leggy as they are inside...Lady Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuesday 22nd March.

    We've had 4 mushrooms up to now but I counted 35 tiny ones tonight that will be ready by Friday...
    The first 4 were very tasty and quite sweet not sure why...but they were very nice....I will have to photograph the next batch .... I have found that they now need a lot of water, I've had to check them 3 or 4 times a day...
    Lady Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thursday 24th March.

    There's loads of tiny mushrooms this morning after another count up there's around 50 today...
    So There will be loads ready by Sunday I hope...
    They are so thirsty though I have been spraying them will water 2 or 3 times a day. Hopefully will get a few good sized ones again like the first 4...
    We're going to make something very nice with these ones and I wont have to buy any mushrooms for the next few weeks...I'm going to get another growing kit next week so I can start some more off for about a months time...As these mushrooms taste so much nicer than shop bought ones If you have a small space you should give growing your on mushrooms a go...there very easy to look after...you just need a darken windowsill a browing kit adn a small sprayer bottle with water in it ready to spary when you walk past...And you can really tell the difference with the flavor of your home grown ones to shop bought... Lady Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friday 25th March.

    I had a quick look at the mushrooms this morning there are around 15 little mushroons to day but I will let them grow a bit more...well to button size mushrooms before I pick them...I had to water them again too...
    So hopefully I'll be have lots of mushrooms over the weekend..And there are still around 40 for next week...I really glad I like loads of mushrooms... We do have them most days...So growing our own is a good idea...Lady Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wednesday 30th March.

    I had to pick 10 quite large mushroom last night I used them in the curry which I made....
    They were very tasty and qiute sweet in flavor..
    There will be some more ready by the weekend so I just hope I will get a few on mother's day...on Sunday...

    There a still many tiny mushrooms to grow and I haven't bought any this week..looking forward to the next ones..Lady Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wednesday 11th May.

    The home grown mushrooms have now all finished growing we've had loads out of one little box and hopefully in a few weeks time we'll be starting some more off... We've had at least 8 weeks of free mushrooms and they tasted really good and so fresh and earthy taste to them...
    I might try a different kind of mushroom next time...
    one of the chinese types I think and my be another box of english mushrooms too...
    Lady Sarah...

    ReplyDelete